The Gelb Center, headquartered in Midtown East NYC, with an additional center in White Plains, New York, is internationally recognized for their doctor’s, dentists, pain management doctors, and team’s best in class treatments for TMJ, sleep apnea, sleep disorders, and chronic headache treatments. The NYC TMJ / Sleep Apnea specialist, Doctor Michael Gelb, DDS, MS has earned the prestigious award of Top Doc New York® multiple years in a row and is a NYC top rated, best in class doctor on Vitals, HealthGrades, MakeMeHeal, Google+, RateMDs, and other doctor’s services rating websites. Dr. Gelb has been featured as a TMJ and Sleep Apnea / Sleep Disorders authority in The New York Times, The Chicago Tribune, Fox News, Fox Business News, CBS, CNN, Women’s Day , IVillage, The Globe & Mail, ABC News, and other national and international newspaper and networks.
The Gelb Center offers integrated medical treatment including pain management for head pain, neck pain, TMJ, facial & neck pain, and jaw pain and other dysfunctions including headache, snoring, and sleep apnea. By integrating science, medicine, physical therapy, chiropractic therapy, nutrition, biofeedback, pain management / pain medication, applied kinesiology, and cranial therapy in our treatments, The Gelb Center can rejuvenate your sleep quality, eliminate your TMJ and headaches, and improve your life by ridding you of pain.
- Diplomate, American Board of Orofacial Pain
- Clinical Professor NYU College of Dentistry
- Cofounder: American Academy of Physiologic Medicine and Dentistry
- American Dental Association
- New York County Dental Society
- American Academy of Orofacial Pain
- American Academy of Craniofacial Pain
- American Sleep Disorders Association
- American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
- Co-inventor of the NORAD, or Nocturnal Oral Airway Dilator for Sleep Apnea
- Co-inventor of the Airway Centric ™
The Gelb Center’s recognized experts have seen and treated a broad spectrum of illnesses and trauma, as their field of study spans from TMJ disorders, to breathing related sleep disorders, with emphasis on how they relate to fatigue, focus, pain, and the effects all of these can have on a person’s life. Our treatments combine a western medical background with an eastern medical expertise. Apart from being recognized for top clinical achievements in their field, our doctors’ current patients include professional singers, musicians, dancers, athletes, and students as well as physicians and titans of business.
The Gelb Center serves as a consultant to physicians, osteopaths, chiropractors and dentists in alleviating TMJ, head and neck pain and alleviating sleep disorders. Dr. Michael Gelb is currently the Clinical Professor of NYU College of Dentistry, Division of Basic Science, Department of Oral Medicine and Pathology in New York, NY.
Dr. Michael Gelb offers remote consultations to patients and medical professionals anywhere in the world via phone or SKYPE. Please follow this link to learn more: remote consultations. Please phone Doctor Michael Gelb’s New York office for details pertaining to remote consultations.
The Gelb Center is a world class leader for best in class treatments for the following conditions:
TMJ Treatments: TMJ technically knows as “Temporomandibular Joint Disorders” includes a wide range of disorders that often overlap. TMJ disorders include: muscle problems that affect jaw and neck movement, pain in the head, neck, jaw and the jaw joint, and problems within the joint itself. An accurate TMJ diagnosis by the doctor is critical for successful treatment. The following TMJ treatments are available by our doctors and dentists:
- BOTOX™ and Trigger-point injections for Headaches , Clenching and Chronic Pain: With this treatment, the doctor injects BOTOX™ or a local anesthetic into tender facial muscles to relieve pain. Trigger -point injections for TMJ yield immediate relief.
- Oral TMJ Appliances: The Gelb™ appliance, Farrar™ appliance, Gelb NYU™ and MORA™ appliances are offered as well as palatal expansion appliances and various custom made appliance designs which are individually designed. All oral appliances are customized fro your specific head , neck and TMJ anatomy and physiology, stabilize or reposition the jaw to decrease clicking and decompress the auriculotemporal nerve. Stabilization TMJ appliances are also used for myofascial pain and cognitive behavioral habit control. Orthodontic appliances can also be used in the course of treatment.
- TMJ Sleep Appliances: Breathing related sleep disorders are often diagnosed in conjunction with TMJ disorders. Oral sleep appliances can be prescribed by the NYC TMJ Specialist in these cases.
- Physical Therapy TMJ Treatments: Manual therapy also known as “Cranial Therapy” for TMJ can be used in conjunction with myofascial release, mobilization of the TMJs, and deep muscle therapy. Postural correction, Feldenkrais, the Alexander technique, cold laser, ultrasound, stim, heat and cold also may used depending on your specific case and needs.
- Chiropractic TMJ Treatments: Applied kinesiology and cranial therapy (on site), ART, atlas orthogonist, and SOT TMJ treatments are available (by referral).
- Therapeutic Botox for TMJ: The use of therapeutic Botox for chronic myofascial pain, headaches, and hypertrophic masseter and temporalis muscles has been used successfully over the last past decade throughout the United States and are incredibly effective in treating TMJ.
- Topical Compounded Therapy: The Gelb Center works with top pharmacies which specialize in compounding medications to help our patients with complicated neuropathic, TMJ and myofascial pain.
Sleep Disorder Treatments (including Sleep Apnea): The Gelb Center provides time-tested treatment of sleep disorders for our NYC and White Plains patients. The Gelb Center of New York (NYC and White Plains) is considered to provide the gold standard in sleep disorder and sleep apnea treatments - quickly and cost effectively. There are several treatment options for sleep disorders. Depending on your specific case, your sleep disorder treatments may include:
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Machine: For those patients suffering from sleep apnea, a CPAP machine is often used as a treatment option even in hybrid therapy with an oral appliance.
- Polysomnogram (PSG) or Sleep Study: Many patients come to The Gelb Center with a copy of their PSG and a diagnosis of sleep apnea to see custom treatment for their particular sleep disorder case.
- Home Sleep Studies: At The Gelb Center, home sleep studies are used to monitor the effectiveness of our various oral appliances and treatment modalities.
- Oral Appliances: The Gelb Center has been using and developing oral appliances for sleep medicine for over 20 years. Oral appliances work by maintaining a forward position of the tongue and soft palate as well as widening the lateral pharyngeal walls.
Headache Treatments: The Gelb Center offers the most advanced headache treatments on the market at our NYC and White Plains, New York offices. Most patients arriving at The Gelb Center seeking relief from headaches have already seen several doctors, specialists, and other professionals, and have had a variety of tests, and tried multiple treatments with limited success. At The Gelb Center, our doctors evaluate each patient by their chief complaint and the history of that complaint. Listening to the headache diagnoses and treatments that have been recommended for your specific type of headache in the past, noting what helped and what was equivocal will help determine a diagnosis. By working with our team of physical therapists, chiropractors, dentists, myofunctional therapists, and orthodontists we can determine the source of your headache and cure you. We are successful in offering immediate treatments for:
- Tension Headaches: Tension Headaches comprise 90% of all headaches.
- Migraine Headaches: Most migraine patients are under the care of a neurologist or family doctor and have had a brain scan which is within normal limits. Some migraine suffers have incredible success with Botox injections and oral appliance therapy.
The Gelb Center’s record speaks for itself. The best in class doctors have been widely recognized as leaders in their respective fields. The team includes best selling authors and speakers who have given seminars and speak internationally on TMJ, pain management, & sleep disorder topics on current techniques and materials around the world. The Gelb Center’s doctors have had their articles appeared in virtually every recognized dental journal.
If you currently experience TMJ pain, chronic headaches, sleep disorders including sleep apnea, or neck or facial pain please feel contact the best in class, top rated specialist, Doctor Michael Gelb’s NYC or White Plains, New York office, The Gelb Center, today.
635 Madison Avenue, 19th Floor
B/W 59th & 60th Street
New York, NY 10022
P: (212) 752-1662
12 Old Mamaroneck Road, Suite 1C
White Plains, NY 10605
P: (914) 686-4528