The Academy of OralFacial MyoFunctional Therapy indicates that Oralfacial Myofunctional Disorders are disorders of the muscles and functions of the face and mouth. Oral Myofunctional Disorders may affect, directly and/or indirectly, breast-feeding, facial skeletal growth and development, chewing, swallowing, speech, occlusion, temporomandibular joint movement, oral hygiene, stability of orthodontic treatment, facial appearance / aesthetics, and more. Most OMDs originate with insufficient habitual nasal breathing or with oral breathing.
We all love our children and want the very best for them, but an astounding 75% of children develop crowded teeth and incorrect jaw alignment which results in varying physical facial disorders and negatively impact’s the child’s appearance.
Myofunctional (muscle) habits such as:
- Mouth breathing
- Tongue thrusting
- Reverse swallowing
- Thumb sucking etc.
…. are the main causes of crooked teeth, sleep disorders (including snoring), and additionally impact’s a child’s facial appearance.
In order to have straight teeth and a more attractive face your child needs correct Myofunctional Habits:
- Your child should habitually breath through nose not though mouth
- Lips together at rest
- Tongue resting in roof of mouth
- No muscle movement around mouth during sub-conscious swallow
- No thumb, digit or non-nutritive sucking habits
What Are The Advantages of Myofunctional Orthodontics?
- Identifies the causes of crooked teeth and mis-aligned jaws at a young age, and allows for early intervention treatment in an non-invasive manner
- Treats the CAUSES of crooked teeth in the growing child, capturing the ‘Short Window Of Opportunity’ that exists to promote positive facial growth before the age of 12 years.
- Has positive benefits for the tooth alignment, facial appearance, posture, and general health in young children and all patients
- Does not require the use of full “Fixed Braces”, if treated early enough, thus saving parents the cost of fixed braces later
- Benefits of Nasal Breathing, including less ENT infections such as ear, throat and chest infections, sinus problems, and Asthma
- Improves sleeping pattern (better REM sleep)
- Improved Facial Growth and attractiveness (Better Faces, Less Braces!)
- Avoids future TMJ problems
- Health benefits such as improved posture (standing straighter with head over shoulders)
- Improved stability post orthodontic treatment without the need for long-term retention
If you would like to learn more about Myofunctional Orthodontics or to make an appointment please feel contact the best in class, top rated specialist, Dr. Michael Gelb’s NYC or White Plains, New York Gelb Center office today.
The Gelb Center of NYC
635 Madison Avenue, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10022
P: (212) 752-1662
The Gelb Center of White Plains
12 Old Mamaroneck Road, Suite 1C
White Plains, NY 10605
P: (914) 686-4528