Your child’s NYCorthodontist has determined that palatal expansion is necessary for your child. A narrow upper jaw may interfere with the fit of upper and lower teeth. Without correction, this may affect your child’s appearance in a negative manner and may contribute to difficulties with biting, chewing and speech.
Palatal expanders essentially widen an upper jaw that’s too narrow. This is necessary when there’s a discrepancy between the width of the upper and lower jaws. A palatal expansion appliance specifically designed by an orthodontist can markedly increase the width of the upper jaw. A wider jaw allows upper and lower teeth to fit together. This permits teeth and jaws to function well and contributes to a broader, more attractive smile and facial features.
A major benefit of receiving top orthodontic treatment in childhood is that it’s possible to take full advantage of a child’s own natural growth process to treat or even prevent malocclusions (“bad bites”). A palatal expander is a device designed to help us do that.
Please note: Palatal expansion is not painful.
What is the best age for palatal expansion at The Gelb Center in NYC? Age alone is not the best predictor when a palatal expansion appliance should be used. Ideally a patient should still be growing. An orthodontist can estimate skeletal maturation and determine whether a patient is still growing by analyzing the growth plates on a hand-wrist x-ray. Patients who have completed growth may require surgically-assisted rapid palatal expansion.
Benefits of Palatal Expansion
- Cures the problem of crowded teeth
- Corrects crossbites without having to remove teeth
- Helps cure snoring snore mouth breathers because it
- Improve nasal airway passages resulting in more oxygen to the brain
- Prevent TMJ disorders
- Increases the width of a smile therefore improves a child’s overall appearance
The palate expansion appliance is a custom fit appliance designed to widen the upper teeth. It fits in the roof of the mouth and is cemented to the upper side teeth. The palatal expander “expands” (or widens) your upper jaw by putting gentle pressure on your upper molars each time an adjustment is made. Our orthodontist will instruct you about when and how to adjust your expander. When you (or your child) has achieve the desired expansion, you will wear the appliance for several months to solidify the expansion and to prevent regression.
Five Facts About Palatal Expanders
- Palatal expanders are small orthodontic appliances that fit inside the mouth.
- Palatal expanders take advantage of a child’s natural growth processes.
- Palatal expanders are helpful in treating a variety of orthodontic problems. including teeth crowding, impacted teeth, and crossbite.
- Palatal expanders can eliminate the need for tooth extraction.
- Palatal expanders typically shorten overall orthodontic treatment time including orthodontic braces.
If you are interested in learning more about Palatal Expansion please feel contact the best in class, top orthodontic specialist, Dr. Michael Gelb’s NYC or White Plains, New York acclaimed Gelb Center office today.
The Gelb Center of NYC
635 Madison Avenue, 19th Floor
B/W 59th & 60th Street
New York, NY 10022
P: (212) 752-1662
The Gelb Center of White Plains
12 Old Mamaroneck Road, Suite 1C
White Plains, NY 10605
P: (914) 686-4528